Thursday, September 1, 2011

日本の夏休み (Japan's Summer Vacation)


Hey everyone!

Long time no post, right?
The things here in Japan are really crazy, so I didn't had so many time to thing about a post here in my blog. I'm really sorry for that!

So... this post is dedicated to the first full season that I experienced here in Japan: the summer (夏). Summer here in Japan can be very interesting, but also very hard to endure. The temperatures in Tokyo are really high, and the humidity of the air intensifies the heat sensation. It's important for you to take some precautions about your body, because it's really easy for you to faint in the crowd trains, or to get a strong headache because of the sun.

Well, in São Paulo, as well in many other places in the world, the Summer is the time to go to the beach and enjoy the heat refreshing yourself in the sea. For us, the sensation of refreshment is related to the water, the sea, drinks, ice-cream... but here in Japan, this ideas are a little different.

For example, the Summer is the season that many insects emerge here in Japan. Among them, are the Cicadas (which are really big and disgusting here). The Cicada's population are so big here, that the noise that they make can become unbearable for foreigners like me. But, for the japanese, the sound that the cicadas emites brings a sensation of refreshment in Summer! When they hear the cicadas sounds between the trees, often they say: "涼しい"(which means like "Ah! Freshness!"). In the same way, they associate sour foods, candies or beverages (酸っぱい物) with this refreshment sensation! Interesting, isn't it?

Also, Summer is a good season for festivals in Japan. And people often go to these festivals using Yukatas (浴衣). For me, yukatas seems like kimonos, but more simple. Because it is a very simple clothe, with almost one only layer of tissue, yukatas gives to your body a very good sensation of refreshment in the heat. Check out the yukata that I bought to myself in the photo beside. The festivals are very funny, also! There's a lot of good food, like Yakisoba (焼きそば - a chinese pasta-like dish), Takoyaki (たこ焼き - Octopus dumplings), Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き - pancake-like japanese dish) and Kakigoori (かき氷 - shaved ice with flavor). In the festival that I went near my dorm, I was able to see this beautiful rainbow in the picture. It was really nice!

And, finally, the most famous event in summer is the Fireworks sightseeing, or the Hanabi (花火). The fireworks events are really incredible... there is a whole planning about the sequences and kinds of fireworks that are going to be used... I taped some videos in a Hanabi that I went in Yokohama (横浜)... I'm posting some of them bellow. Better seen than told! ^^






There are more 2 videos, that are the biggest ones (and the more interesting ones). I can't upload them directly here, but these are the links for the youtube page were I uploaded them:



Enjoy!! ^^

Now I'm waiting for the result of my entrance exam at the University, as well for the Autumn... I think it will be a really beautiful season! =D

気をつけて!
Di

No comments: